I pinned this wreath over a year ago and did not get around to making one like it until our last Pinterest Party. I picked up a ton of bulb replacement packs at Hobby Lobby after Christmas last year (at 70% off, I think I paid about 35 cents per package of 4) and had enough for us to make 3 wreaths! What can I say, I like to be prepared.
This wreath was a huge lesson in patience for me. Having made one, I would do a couple of things differently next time.
I knew I wanted the bulbs to be glittery, and I knew I wanted them in my “fancy” colors (chocolate brown, silver, gold, and that pretty antique silver color). This was the perfect excuse to buy that pretty variety pack of glitter I’d been wanting for, oh, years. And because 28 colors just weren’t enough, I had to buy a couple of extra colors too.
I had the idea in my head that spray adhesive + glitter was the way to go. Well, it worked, but it was a huge pain. A huge, messy pain. My cousin and I sat in the garage and glittered our bulbs – spray adhesive, then immediately put the bulb in a ziploc with glitter. Shake it until covered, then set on a plate to dry. Doesn’t sound too bad. It was horrible. Sars had the right idea: brush Mod Podge onto the bulbs and dip them in the jar of glitter. That works great if you have big containers of glitter (which I didn’t). If I ever make a wreath like this again, that is how I will be doing it. Spray adhesive is good for many things, but applying glitter is not one of them.
Once they were dry, I used hot glue to attach the bulbs to the wooden wreath form (I found mine at Michaels in the floral section. They come in 3 sizes, and I got the largest one. I think it was $3.50? Sars also used the largest size, and my cousin used the middle size.) I stuck on a silver bow that I had purchased at Dollar Tree, and that was that.
Or so I thought.
13 of the 38 bulbs fell off on my way home from the Pinterest Party. Luckily, I had put the wreath in a big trash bag to contain all the glitter so the bulbs didn’t go far. I bought some E6000 glue and let it sit for a day. Okay, still not staying. I did it AGAIN, covered it with a piece of plywood to weigh down the bulbs, and didn’t even look at the stupid thing for about 5 days.
I think it finally worked.
I love the way this looks, but this wreath has been such a drama queen! I am paranoid about the bulbs falling off, so this wreath will be an indoor wreath. I do love it, but I’ve learned my lesson!
My cousin’s wreath (she goes to Texas State University)
Sars’ wreath – done the smart way!
This may be my #1 wreath I’ve ever made. Maybe because it was so messy, maybe because I love glitter, or maybe because I’m an idiot. I just don’t know. All I know is that I love it and it was worth all the trouble. You’ll probably find me buying more light bulbs in January to make another one!